Recent Posts

Friday, August 22, 2014

The Silver Lining

I’m pretty sure that in life, when we look back, we’ll see the silver lining that sometimes evaded us. But, life is good, and often in retrospect things make a little bit more sense. 

I’ve thought a lot about this lately as we’ve embarked on a new adventure, started blogging again, and as new friends have commented on old blog posts here and there. 

In particular, I’ve thought about buying our home, our road to medical school, and the loss of my second pregnancy last winter. All three have been crazy, emotional whirlwinds. They were trails and blessings. They are all gifts for which I am grateful. Each of them reminds me of my favorite scripture from the Book of Mormon:

Alma 26:12 "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.”

Through God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, we can do anything. He truly lifts us up. 

Acknowledging the blessings that come through trials is often one of the ways I recognize the hand of The Lord in our lives and grow in the realization that I am weak. This is especially true now.

Two and a half years ago when we debated about buying a house it was frustrating, exciting, exasperating, and thrilling all at the same time. We didn't want to move AGAIN, but were excited about the prospect of earning equity while we prepared for med school. 

Looking back it is one of the many miracles. We had no idea when we purchased our home that it would be a small source of income to us during the transition from two incomes to none. We are grateful. 

In addition to our home, the path to medical school has been challenging yet rewarding. We experienced the excitement of secondaries and interviews as well as the frustration of rejection and waitlists, but looking back, it has been right for us. I will have the opportunity (because of Visa laws) to be a stay-at-home mom which is both incredibly exciting and positively nerve wrecking. I have the opportunity to serve Ryan as he prepares to be a physician and provide for our futures. I have a lot of emotions about leaving my career, but have learned so much over the past ten years about who I am, who I want to be, and the abilities that make me unique. (Who knew that after four years at BYU, I would decide to start my won consulting firm!? More on that to come…) Looking back, our road to medical school has been one of the many miracles. We are grateful. 

Finally, in retrospect, we look back on the loss of my second pregnancy as a beautiful growing point in our relationship together, as a family, and with our Savior. I recently re-read my post about it, and it’s incredible to see how the hand of the Lord is ever present in our lives. He knew that we wanted to know we could have another baby, but that it wasn’t the right time for that little spirit. And we are grateful that He knew better. We were already crazed in July. I cannot. imagine. what life would have been like with the a newborn and trying to recover while moving, sending Ryan off, finishing up my job, etc. We aren’t worried about infertility, we know that when the time is right we will be blessed with more children—I think heading to Grenada with one is just fine. She’s seriously the best thing that has ever happened to us. Looking back, this has been one of the many miracles, and we are grateful. 

Ryan has been in Grenada alone for 22 days. It has been challenging, but we have consecrated ourselves to this path to medicine and have chosen an attitude of gratitude. We know it is not an easy path and not for the faint at heart. We have been richly blessed to be where we are and want to make sure that we acknowledge the silver lining as it happens. 

Life is good. 

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...