Recent Posts

Monday, September 1, 2014

The Primary

In February, the bishopric called me to see if they could come over and meet with Ryan and me. I was terrified. I loved teaching the youth with Ryan and we loved our class. The majority of the class was made up of young men, and they were the best. young men. Ever. (Is ten years too big of a gap to want Adi to marry Porter... Hey. Just sayin'.) 

When the bishopric came to visit, I got emotional--and when they asked why I said I didn't want to be released. They laughed and said I was going to be anyway-ha-and then preceded to throw a curve ball from left field when they asked if I would be willing to serve as the First Counselor in the Primary Presidency. 

I was shocked. I had never been in a presidency before--not even as the Beehive Secretary years and years and years ago. 

 Of course I said yes, and this began the new adventure in the Vineyard 7th Ward.  I LOVED serving with Gail and Allison. We had an instant bond and connection and I learned so much from them in such a short period of time. 




 It was short, because our time together was short lived when in April the ward split... 

Again. :) 

 This time, I knew something was coming. And sure enough later that week, the new bishop asked if I would be willing to serve as the Primary President. Finding Counselors was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, but when all was said and done, I knew that Lindsay and Ashley were called of God to help with my weaknesses and inadequacies. 

The next two weeks before our ward met for the first time were a whirlwind. Classes, teachers, snacks, reverence treats, music leaders, etc. In all honesty, it occupied a large majority of my brain and attention that week, but when all was said and done, the primary was organized, the kids were happy, and the Spirit had room to touch the lives of our Primary children. 

Just over a week ago, I was released in preparation for our departure to Grenada. It was very bittersweet and was simply further evidence that we are leaving our beloved ward, neighborhood, and friends. It was hard to talk about it without getting a little choked up--especially as I gave my last Sharing Time and testimony. The sweet chorister, Ashley, had the kids sing my favorite Primary to me ("Sister McKenzie") and in the moment I couldn't remember if I had a "favorite", so I had them sing one of my favorites, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me". It was darling. 



I will miss those kids and those women. It was truly a pleasure to serve with them, even if it was only for a short time. Danny, the First Counselor in the Bishopric whom I had worked with before he was released the week before I was said callings come and go. Words full of wisdom. 

 Here's to new adventures and new callings.

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...