Recent Posts

Monday, April 29, 2013

Paniolo Coconut-Lime Cookies

So, when Heidi and I were in Washington, Sheri Dew gifted each attendee at the Management Society dinner a copy of Our Best Bites. I had heard so many good things and was ecstatic.

A couple weeks ago I started with the Strawberry-Lemon Butter Cookies, but substituted blackberry jam and lime zest out of necessity.


Blackberry-Lime Butter Cookies 

They were yummy, although a little too buttery. And I must say better than anything strawberry lemon I'd had before (score for random substitution).

Then over the weekend we headed to the cabin and I wanted to make some cookies, so I followed another Our Best Bites recipe for Lime-Coconut White Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies. I followed the recipe, down to the random melted butter.


Lime-Coconut White Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies

Again, they were yummy, although a little too buttery. And, the Diamond Macadamia nuts weren't my favorite (although to be fair, they weren't chopped or toasted). And while yummy, the cookies weren't what I was expecting, I wanted a more solid chocolate-chip cookie texture, and I created a plan for improvement.

So, tonight when we were at the grocery store and I saw macadamia nuts, I asked Ryan if he would be up for another go at it. For some friends and neighbors, and perhaps some friends that we visit and home teach?

Sure!

First thing's first, macadamia nuts. How many to buy? At more than $3.00 at ounce for the Diamond brand, I figured we go with as few as possible. Then we found the Archer Farm brand! They were cheaper and pre-toasted. Excellent.

After a little experimentation, a few miserable cookies, and some help from Ryan, we had the most delicious, beautiful cookie ever baked. (Yes, cookie, I wanted to start with just one.) And they kept coming!  Each batch, better than the previous!

They are super yummy, although I might reduce the sugar just a little because the white chocolate chips naturally add a very robust, sugary richness, but that is incredibly minor... (:

So, without further adieu, McKenzie's Paniolo Coconut Lime Cookies! (Paniolo means "Cowboy" in Hawaiian, and considering this recipe combines my favorite "Cowboy Cookie" recipe with the Lime-Coconut recipe, I thought it was quite fitting!)


Paniolo Coconut-Lime Cookies 

Ingredients (Yields approximately 4 dozen cookies)

1 Cup butter (room temperature)
1 Cup packed brown sugar
1 Cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 Cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup shredded coconut
1 Cup white chocolate chips (optional for texture: coarsely chopped)
1 Cup roasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
Zest from two medium limes


Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
3) Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
4) In a separate bowl, sift flour, soda, powder, and salt together.
5) Add flour mixture to creamed mixture one cup at a time.
6) Add coconut and zest and mix thoroughly.
7) Stir in chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
8) Spoon 2 Tbsp dough into ball and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet
9) Back at 350 for 10-12 minutes (until very lightly brown)
10) Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, transfer to wire cooling rack

1 comments:

Amber said...

Those sound amazing! We might have to try making them after I get back to the states and can actually have access to all of those ingredents.

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...