Recent Posts

Monday, April 29, 2013

The First Rule of Four Wheeling...

When I joined Ryan's family in 2008 almost, I was taught two important rules about playing on four wheelers and snowmobiles: 1) always wear a helmet and 2) never go alone.

The first rule is a no-brainer, but when my brother, Nate was in an accident on a ride later that year, the doctor said his helmet saved his life. We look at that helmet every once in a while as a crazy reminder of why we always wear a helmet.

The second rule is illustrated by a story that is told and retold in the family. Tyler had a little bike, went for a ride, crashed it, had to make it back. Never go alone, right?

Well, this weekend I discovered Pre-Rule A: know how to start a four-wheeler before you ever go for a ride... story? I. Think. So.

Friday afternoon, Ryan, Adi, and I headed to the cabin with Brad and Jennifer. It was so much fun. We watched movies, ate junk food (and delicious cookies), and played games. We cleaned here and there, but for the most part we were all enjoying ourselves.

Early in the morning, Adi and I dawned our helmets for a couple little drives and then came back. Then a little later, Adi and Mark (a close, close family friend) took Adi on a ride in the Rhino. No big deal. We played some games and a little time passed, no big deal.

Then some more time passed and we started wondering about Mark and Adi... I checked my watch. No big deal. Then some more time passed and we did the same thing.

Finally, we thought that perhaps we should take a quick drive. Ryan's uncle, Kit, and I hopped on some four-wheelers and Kit took off. I tried to keep up, and soon enough he came around and said he hadn't seen them, so I headed down the other direction. No luck. So, I turned around again and came up over a hill to find Mark and Adi. (I should have known. I trust Mark implicitly.)

So, I said I'd drive up the trail a little bit to let Kit know and I'd be back in a jiffy.

Or. So. I. Thought.

After about three or four minutes on the trail, I thought it was a little bit out of my skill level (which remember, is novice), so I stopped, threw the four wheeler into reverse, backed up, and then tried to shift into drive.

Tried.

Yes. As I went to shift it stalled and um, oh wait, I didn't. know. how. to. turn. it. back. on.

I tried doing things with the throttle, and choke, but let's be honest, I don't even know how to drive a stick, so, it was no hope.

I checked my watch, we'd been gone about ten minutes. I tried starting it again. Hum. No luck.

Sooooo, I was stranded. I could see the cabin from the hill where I was sitting, but guaranteed they couldn't see me. I couldn't just leave the machine, could I? I had a few moments of panic, thinking that I'd broken the four wheeler. Great.

Luckily I had my phone. And full coverage. Phew.

Well, oh wait. No.

I goggled "how to start a Kodiak four wheeler", no luck. I doubt I would ever have been able to start it based on some of the super-complex information I was reading. Oh well.

Phil Dunphy's experience with a motorcycle came to mind...


And... I will admit I did laugh out loud a couple of times.  

I was too concerned because it was nice, light outside, and I figured that they would know pretty quickly if I wasn't coming back. 

Then I though I might send an SOS out to the world... 


Stranded. At least I have my phone... #howdoyoustartafourwheeler #howlongtilltheynotice

About ten or fifteen minutes later, after a nice intake of Vitamin D, Kit rounded the bend and saw me sitting on the hill. That's the irony. I was just sitting there.

Well, turns out it had to be in neutral to start. Go figure.

I was... well, embarrassed. But, at least I can laugh about it after the fact.

Turns out also that five minutes after Mark and Adi made it home, Kit got there too. And well, McKenzie wasn't so they figured I was lost or something. Glad to know that they knew I was missing.

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...