Recent Posts

Monday, February 22, 2010

Search for a GRB

Up until a few months ago I never thought I would ever say this, but I am looking for a running buddy. The reason why I say that I never thought I would ever say this is because I have always liked to run solo (I actually hated running with other people).

Well, this was until a buddy of mine in my last single's ward asked if he could train for a marathon with me. At first it was difficult, but it later became more enjoyable because there was someone to talk to during the long runs (as you can imagine, 20+ miles can be long by yourself). He became my GRB, and we have been running buddies ever since.

What's a GRB? GRB = "Gay Running Buddy". Sorry for not being PC, it's nothing against literal GRBs. It was a term coined by my bishop's wife. She wanted to go on a run with him, but he had planned a run with a buddy. Out of frustration she then exclaimed something to the effect of, "Fine, go running with your gay running buddy, then!" Since that time, any running buddy has been labeled as a "gay running buddy", or "GRB". It has nothing to do with sexual preferences.

Well, my GRB is getting married and get a second job, in addition to completing his last semester of school. This leaves me with the daunting realization that those 20-mile runs are going to feel really long.

So, to cope with my training at hand and in the future, I am considering the following options:

1. Actively looking for a GRB. This makes me look really desperate, I even posted on Facebook that I want someone to train with for a little while, while we're still in Utah. So far, no takers (Here in Utah at least. Come on, Utah friends!).


2. A Bob. I'm looking for where I can get my hands on one of these puppies. It's called a Bob, and it's an amazing running stroller so I can take Adi when she's a little older and the weather is warmer. These are expensive, and so I have considered KSL.com or other venues to find a used one.


Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Andrea said...

There are always a handful of Zimmermans marathon training....and any one of them would probably enjoy some company. Guess you should advertise what pace of GRB you're looking for....

As for a running stroller. Loved mine, and used it all the time when I only had one kid. I'd invest in a good one if at all possible because they take a lot of wear and tear. My oldest loved going!

Jackie said...

I will run with you..but i'm in Lehi...

Carbonneau said...

Chris and I are training for a half marathon and we both push jogging strollers with 2 kids each. I have never used a single jogger, but I prefer using our bike trailer that turns into a jogger because it has a swivel wheel at the front. Our jogger that doesn't is much more difficult to maneuver and push. I suggest you borrow a couple joggers to test out before purchasing one! GOOD LUCK!

Shani Ogden said...

GRB! I'm so glad you remember that too. :) And congrats on losing so much of the baby weight!

Shani Ogden said...

(The baby weight comment was for your wife...obviously...)

sarahflib said...

This is Dave Peris's wife, Sarah. I just wanted to see pictures of your cute new baby girl. She's adorable--congratulations!

As for strollers, we have a Bob Revolution and I absolutely LOVE it. I did a ton of research on strollers and I'm firmly convinced that this is the best one if you want one stroller that can do it all. You're welcome to test ours out if you haven't tried one yet. If you keep your eye on KSL you should be able to get a good deal, but you have to check quite often because these strollers go quickly. We bought ours new online, but we still got a good deal because we got free shipping and used a 15 percent off coupon. Anyway, this is now a long comment, so sorry about that.

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...