Recent Posts

Monday, June 8, 2009

Potbelly: A Perspective

Summer 2007, I first happened upon...


...Potbelly Sandwich Works when I got together for lunch with my mom’s best friend’s oldest son, Eric. He was working in Washington and I was here interning. I took the metro to meet him, and after having heard a bunch of great things about the restaurant, ordered a mouth-watering turkey sandwich on wheat bread.


It was yummy, but it reminded me of a glorified toasted Subway sandwich. I didn’t understand the big deal.

Fast forward to Winter 2008 when I met my roommate Shelly. Shelly had interned as a teacher in an inner-city school in Georgetown, and she was absolutely head-over-heals in love with Potbelly. She would rant and rave, and on every subsequent trip to Washington she would have to have Potbelly. Again, I didn’t understand the big deal.

Rewind to last Monday (Read Here: June 1, 2009). Ryan and I had dinner with our friends Aaron and Shelly, both school teachers from Alpine School District, who had just arrived from Utah. I really wanted to go to Cosi, a Zuppa’s-like café here in Washington, and they agreed. We had a great time, and of course the food was delicious!

In retrospect, I didn’t know that Shelly had wanted to go to Potbelly. But in a blog she had posted, she said she had been disappointed that we hadn’t gone to Potbelly, and rightfully so considering it is her favorite restaurant. Her post revealed that she’d stopped by Potbelly on her way back to her apartment after our dinner that night. It made me laugh, which leads me to…

Today. Today I gave Potbelly the benefit-of-the-doubt, and stopped by for a quick lunch. I stared at this for quite a while...


...and finally ordered a mouth-watering turkey sandwich on wheat bread. It was alright, but this time I wouldn’t even classify it as yummy (odd flavor of mayo or something). It was a glorified toasted Subway sandwich, and when I asked if they had salt and pepper, they said “we have oregano.” Oregano is not salt or pepper. I am so frustrated by the good reviews because I just don’t see what the big deal is… Personally, I’ll stick with my delicious and full-of-variety Subway. Sorry Shelly.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Blasphemy! I can't believe you don't like Potbelly's! Josh and I ate there several times on our trip to DC a few years ago because we loved it so much. I ordered the Roast Beef and a Stewart's Key Lime soda every time. You must have just picked the wrong sandwich. Although, I'll respect your decision about it not being the place for you. You'll just have to head over to Pizzeria Paradisio near DuPont Circle, get a Margherita pizza, and add some potatoes to it. YUM!

Shelly said...

Haha, this post makes me laugh! Of course it's no different than Subway if you don't have the Wreck with extra hot peppers! :) I really did enjoy Cosi, and trust me, the next day I was super glad I stopped by both places. What they fed us at the hotel was just atrocious. It was like they took a package of the really thin lunch meat and just slapped about 10-20 slices on a dry hamburger bun.

Jackie said...

I'm a Cosi girl myself. I have one about 5 doors down from my office...nice! Potbelly's is right around the corner, too, and I've had it once. It was okay. I don't get it either!

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...