Recent Posts

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Will Never Forget - September 11, 2001

[Disclaimer: I cannot bear to post pictures of the World Trade Center or the Pentagon from September 11, 2001. Rather, I prefer to post the pictures that commemorate the sites as we remember and commemorate the heros of that day.]

Seven years ago today, I was a freshman in high school. I lived in Northern Virginia and was 20 miles away from the Pentagon. I remember watching in horror as we saw the second plane crash into the towers and wept as they fell, knowing the great loss of life that I had witnessed. I remember the terror as we witnessed what was happening in Washington to our friends... to our families.


Sitting in my classes, my mind raced as the loud speaker shattered the silence over and over and over again calling for students to go to the office-they were going home-where mom and dad might not come home again. Friends from my high school lost parents that day. One even lost both. The emotions of that time draw up a fervor of emotion, and the thought makes me weep. I know what happened that day. I remember. I saw it; I felt it. I lived what happened that day. 


On September 11, 2001, our lives were changed forever. Today, sever years later, I pay tribute to great men and women who gave their lives that day. Innocent souls that the Lord welcomed into his arms. I am grateful for the blessings and freedoms I enjoy as an American... I will never forget. 

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Kenz, those pictures are beautiful, where'd you get them? It's hard to believe it's been so long. Today when I drove to work there was a fire fighter outside our complex saluting people as they drove past. I thought it was a nice tribute but felt more like we should be saluting them.

Anonymous said...

Wow - it's so interesting to think that there were people I know over there, when I was so far away in the other washington. Thanks for this post Kenz!

McKenzie said...

I found the pictures by searching google for "September 11 Memorial". They are wonderful pictures, and I find it better to remember that way than with the horrible images of that day.

Alicia said...

I know how you feel Kenz, although the losses in our hometown were slightly delayed. They called all of the military kids into the auditorium about 3 hours after and told us we would not be going home for several days (they had locked down the base) and that most of our fathers had already left for war (mine was not included thankfully). Sadly, many never came home. It was probably the most terrifying day of my life. They pulled 3 of us aside who lived in a certain neighborhood and told us our families were safe for now but that Special Forces headquarters was likely the next target. Thank heaven the whole mess stopped when it did.

Alicia said...

(Post script for previous comment: SF Headquarters was across the street from my house.)

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...