Recent Posts

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chile!


Recently Kenz was excited about something. It was because one of her friends had posted about Chile! So, obviously I found myself blog stalking, or in other words, looking at a random person's blog. I can't help it; I love Chile. I love everything about it, and even deny that it's considered a third world country by most of the US population. However, to my credit most of the US population is incredibly ignorant when it comes to Latin America. The media does not feed them any accurate information either. I argue my point in protest with the following:

Exibit A: National Treasure 2 portrays that the Olmec civilization lived in the Dakota region of the United States. (Even Wikipedia knows that the Olmecs lived in Mexico, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmec). I guess, ironically, they didn't know so much about American History...



Exhibit B: Indiana Jones and the Flying Refrigerator of Doom depicts the wonderful Mexican music that Peruvians enjoy in Cuzco. Also, Indiana finds that in fact it was not the Inca population who lived in the Andes region of South America, it was the Mayans. (This is also contrary to the all-knowledgeable Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca). Hence, it makes perfect sense for Mexican music to be enjoyed by Peruvians. But hey, it's all Spanish anyway, right? (It's perfectly understandable how an acclaimed Ivy League University professor could mix that up. Silly Indy).


Exhibit C: James Bond, Quantum of Solace will depict northern Chilean terrain and Chilean citizens as being Bolivian. Random fact: the region in which they filmed what will be "Bolivia" was in fact part of Bolivia that was lost to Chile during the Pacific War. This region, Antofagasta, is still a hotbed for border dispute and contention. Hmmmmmmmm....I wonder why people get upset over these things. It's a good thing the James Bond crew came with a lot of monies...

Sorry for the scantily clad young woman. But yes, that is genuine northern CHILEAN dirt in the background, straight from the Atacama Region itself. Thank you, Bolivia.

So, I hope that you were able to ignore the rantings and learn a little about Latin America. I guess this posting has been a little long, so I'll give my summary on Chile later... I promise it will be great with even better pictures!

1 comments:

Kristen said...

I think "Indiana Jones and the Flying Refrigerator of Doom" is a much better title.

Although "Indiana Jones and Why the Crap Is That Kid from 'Even Stevens' Swinging on Vines with Monkeys? Seriously? Seriously' would be a good title, too.

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...