Recent Posts

Friday, June 7, 2013

Things.


Things.

I really enjoy and like things. 

Many of us do and there is nothing wrong with that. 

A watch here, a car there.

But, an experience recently helped me see more clearly and in new light the importance of the scripture Matthew 6:19-21:
 "19 Lay not up for yourselves atreasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 
 20 But lay up for yourselves atreasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor bsteal: 
 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
As I sat in a hip restaurant in Washington, alone and contemplative I couldn't help but think of a recent acquaintance. Mid-thirties, pretty, successful professionally and financially, chic, well-dressed, and well-traveled. I felt a pang of jealousy as I thought about what her life must be like. In fact, when she commented on how little luggage I had in comparison I felt a little small that I didn't have a more complete wardrobe to pack and show off.

But, like I said as I sat there, alone and contemplative a small thought grew brighter and brighter, "Yes, it would be nice, but don't you realize that you everything."

And I realized it. was. true. 

I could hypothetically collect Gucci, Coach, and Prada shoes for a conference, or I could watch Adi grow through Swimming lessons, Dance, and Preschool. 

I could drive a fancy car, or I could plan a trip or two to Disneyland. 

Here's the rub: I can't have both. 

Yet.

The emerging conclusion in my mind flashed across my mind: each stage of life is accompanied by things (material and otherwise) whether great or small, but the important thing is being able to appreciate what it is that you have right now. 

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Great post and definitely the right perspective on being happy!

Robyn Lee said...

I love this post. My husband and I are both still college students and I get sick of people telling us that it is worth more debt for a vacation or a new car. Priorities now are so worth it in the long run!

www.lovinleelife.blogspot.com

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...