Recent Posts

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Coping.

Work is crazy. To say the least.

And, I realize I don't cope very well. In fact, I've been faking a smile for a couple of days. I hate feeling fake! Lucky for me though, I'm often able to rise above it with a quick laugh or distraction. 

(In fact, I've decided to blog and listen to music for 15 minutes as my coping mechanism during my so-called "lunch".)



Yesterday I was feeling a little overwhelmed, and then I went to teach my night class. They are the best. Seriously.

They were giving their presentations, and they. were. awesome.

One presentation in particular peaked my teaching interest. It was a comparison to they Myers-Briggs test to various type of candy. She did such a great job making the following connections:

  • Extroverts (Reese's Pieces - energy from others) vs. Introverts (Reese's Peanut Butter Cup - energy from within)
  • Sensors (Tootsie Roll - right in front of you) vs. iNtuitives (Tootsie Pop - inferred) 
  • Thinkers (Trail Mix - a tasty, healthy-ish snack) vs. Feelers (M&Ms - the part people will just pick out)
  • Perceivers (Pop Rocks - spontaneous) vs. Judgers (Cherry Sours - exactly what you expect) 
It really was insightful. So I commented that I thought it was brilliant and that I would likely use it the next time I taught  it. It was so obvious. 

Then a girl in my class, Miss Bennett, (I love calling her that!) said the nicest thing. She said, "she changed her teaching, it's beautiful!" I thought it was so nice! I'd never thought about people who teach the same thing over and over and over again without looking for ways to improve. You can't become better if you don't implement new and creative ideas. I know I have so much to learn and improve on, so I'm constantly looking for those ideas. 

Either way, it really made my night. 

Thank you Miss Bennett. 

1 comments:

Kirsten Wiemer said...

that really is a great idea!
she is a genius!

and i hope things get better for you!
its about this time in the school year when i'm really wishing we had a spring break

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...