Recent Posts

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Burpees for Boston

**An aside...

Today (to our office retreat) I wore my favorite running shirt in solidarity for runners everywhere.


And, while I'm not a hard-core runner, I recognize that the spirit of running has tied a lot of people together this week...



Monday Ryan came by my office. It was a busy day and I hadn't been using the Internet much. He asked me if I'd heard about the Boston Marathon, and I said, "No, what?"

Then I pulled up CNN.

Horrible.

Heinous.

Why would someone do that?!

It wasn't until later that night that I started to hear the stories, the horror along with the heroics.



"Bootcamp" came bright and early the next morning at 6am. I wasn't too excited about a 6am butt-kicking...

But when the guy in charge, Scott, started out by mentioning the bombings and then number of causalities and that we were going to honor them, my attitude changed.

Then we did burpees. Burpees for Boston. 147 of them to be exact. The casualty count as of Tuesday morning.

We did them as a group, but it was still hard. It reminded me of this run and made me miss Wes. And again I thought to myself, "Wes didn't ever give up, so why should I?" and "Those people didn't give up, so why should I?" 

It was emotional. Spiritual. 

It brought me closer to the Savior. And a quote came to mind... 


(Pg. 52 of "Preach My Gospel") 

The horrific acts of some lead us to question why?

Sadly, we may never know the answer. And, even if we do, we may never understand. 

But, in Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, all that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement. 


What a wonderful, uplifting reality

While those in Boston are grieving, we are praying. Praying that they may recover. Praying that they may have justice. But most importantly praying that they might have peace.

Here's to Boston! Because "If you're trying to defeat the human spirit, marathon runners are the wrong group to target." -Patton Oswalt 

1 comments:

Haylee said...

Thanks for posting this! Loved reading your thoughts! And we miss Wes too.

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...