Recent Posts

Monday, January 7, 2013

The Documentary Binge

Saturday night, while Kenz was preparing her lesson I watched a documentary film, Patagonia Rising, on proposed dams in the Patagonia region of Chile (Netflix junkie).


I'm not going to lie, I mostly watched it to listen to Chilean Spanish -- it's during these weeks of Utah-winter inversion when I can't help but dream warmer climates. So, while my body may be here in sub-zero temperatures, my heart is in northern Chile where there is not enough water to build a dam the size of a swimming pool. This may be an exaggeration, but not much of one (see below).


Over the course of the documentary, I soon developed an appreciation for southern Chile as a complete antithesis to my beloved north. This was shocking because the south is cold and wet, and wet and cold (which is what we're trying to avoid here, right?)

And that may have been one of several I watched this weekend...

Monseñor: The Last Journey of Oscar Romero (inspiring man facing violent opposition - it's about El Salvador's recent civil war)
Which Way Home (I recommend the movie La Misma Luna if this theme interests you.)
The Devil's Miner (I fast forwarded through some parts because the idol in the mine was creepy.)
Emergency Mine Rescue (to offset the other mining documentary)
Inside North Korea (For diversity, right? I can't only watch documentaries on Latin American politics and social issues.)

Next on the list:
They Call it Myanmar: Lifting the Curtain
Living in Emergency
Manda Bala
The Other Side of Immigration

I wonder sometimes if anyone else watches documentaries, or if I am just an especially boring person.

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...