Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I'm a Republican... oh dear!

When I was in high school, I knew I was going to major in Political Science. I had written state legislation, shadowed local elected officials, and even been voted most likely to become president.

It was all I had ever wanted.

I started down that path and repeatedly ignored comments about how often college students change their major. I even tried to ignore a comment my dad made: that no matter what you do or learn when it comes to political theory, everyone, every. single. person. will have an opinion and think they know just as much as you. 

I tried to ignore that one, but when I studied abroad in Spain in 2006 and interned in the Senate in 2007, I experienced the truth to his comment and it was really difficult for me to handle.

So, I changed my major. 

Now, looking back, it was one of the best decisions I made during my education. I sometimes look back and wonder about whether or not I regret it. Sometimes I do, but more often than not, I don't. 

Especially in an election cycle. People have opinions. Strong opinions.

This year, one of the Senate seats here in Utah is up for re-election and it has been an interesting twist of events. Many people thought this would be a repeat of the 2010 Senate election, but 2010 was a shock and a warning for many. And unlike 2010, in 2012 the Tea Party is relatively weak. Either way, for the first time since 1976 we have a primary between an incumbent Senator (Orrin Hatch) and a new contender (Dan Liljenquist) for this seat. We are living history.

Some people are excited. Some people are angry. Ev-er-y-body has an opinion (Republicans at least). 

I have tried to remain neutral and I'm grateful that to this point I have been a declared independent. But, I have taken an interest in the race and have changed my party affiliation to be able to cast my vote on June 26th.

I want to participate in this exciting race! (:

I encourage you to become an educated voter (get to know the candidates, Hatch and Liljenquist), to register to vote, and to change your affiliation if necessary to exercise your right to vote in this important and exciting election.

The deadlines for registering are 30 days before via mail or 15 days via Internet or in person, time is running out!

Regardless of who you support, I think we can all agree that we need a Senator who understands what is best for his constituency and who will lead his party to effectuate changes that are in our best interest.

Let's exercise our Constitutional rights, Vote

1 comments:

Andrew and Ariel said...

Great post! Way to exercise that right--even if it's for the right. :) Though, I'm definitely rooting for Hatch--though there's nothing I can do about it as a registered Maryland Dem.

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...