Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pursuits of Happiness

When I began the MPA Program at BYU, I could tell that some wondered why I was there, how I had started mid-year, or even if I was capable. I was an outsider of sorts who had begun after everyone else had already formed, normed, and stormed. I was known as "McKenzie's husband" (not that being associated with Kenz is in any way bad, I just felt that they didn't recognize me as an individual with my own attributes and talents). I sincerely appreciated those who welcomed me and took the time to get to know me.

I vividly remember my first day of Statistics. I walked back to the lounge with Kenz, my mind reeling with terror of what I was coming to expect of that class. (Did I mention I had never taken a stats class until grad school?) Kenz proceeded to the lounge and I went to retrieve something from my locker. It was at my locker where I received a warm welcome from Wes Truman.

Wes made me feel comfortable, capable, and confident. He was genuine and open. I was grateful that he cared enough to get to know me, and had buoyed me up at a time when I felt overwhelmed. My experiences with Wes throughout grad school were always such. He was quick to lend a supportive smile, express concern for our well-being, and always shared his much-needed optimism.

After graduation, after we had moved to VA, Kenz and I followed Wes and his family through their blog, appropriately named "Pursuits of Happiness." We admired their optimism and unwavering faith in the face of trial. We journeyed with them through setbacks and deep sorrow, but always came away with a feeling of hope and pure joy.

Over the course of the past 24 hours, Kenz and I have again joined with Wes' family in heartache. However, as I reflect on Wes' legacy I cannot help but feel edified with pure joy in who he was and who he had become: a true disciple of Jesus Christ. His was a life worth admiring, a life worth following, and because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, his life is eternal.

The Trumans' pursuit was not that of happiness; they had already found it. They nurtured it in every way they knew how and shared it with all who surrounded them. By doing so, they were helping us in our own pursuit.

2 comments:

Andrew and Ariel said...

Thanks for both of your posts/tributes to Wes and Lori. You highlight well their faith and strength.

Unknown said...

Thank you. He was our best friend, but he made everyone feel that way. and we are happy to share him! we are not just sad for us, but for the world because of the absence of the greatest man I have known.

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...