Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Gratitude Post #1 - Family

The BYU Wellness challenge for this quarter is "Building Wellness: Improve Your Happiness". A large portion of the challenge is to exercise, which I have conviently added to my schedule because of Adrielle and Ryan. The other portion of the challenge is to choose a "tool" to help you find or improve your overall happiness in your day-to-day life.

The first two weeks, I chose to "Enroll in a Class and meet with and get to know people in your class who share the same circumstances as you." I chose mommy-and-me swimming lessons, neat. It has been fun and successful. And, I now have three college friends in the class.

These next couple of weeks, or perhaps for this week, I have decided to work on "Keeping a Gratitude Journal; write five entries each week about things for which you are grateful." So, because the blog has basically turned into our famliy journal, and because I hope to lift others through my posts, here is my first Gratitude Post on family.



As I grow older, I observe the world and the people around me and think, "how did they develop that trait" or something similar. Often I take that inward and think, "how did I develop that trait".
Most of the time (I conjecture) I developed traits through simply watching others and learning from their example. I guess this is the essence of nurture, right? For example:
  • My dad: is generous. I like to think that his hospitality and generosity has rubbed off on me.
  • My mom: is supportive and nonjudgmental (is that a word?). I hope that as life continues, that I gain more of those good qualities.
  • My brothers: are steadfast (not to be confused with stubborn). Sometimes to their detriment, but more often than not to their benefit, even if I order the pizza.
  • My husband: is kind. Even when things are challenging, he is kind, calm, and collected. A diamond in the rough (too cliche, I think not).
  • My daughter: is moldable. Might I be a little more trusting and child-like
And consider this, this is only my immediate family. I have inlaws, cousins, and grandparents who have demonstrated charity, integrity, and an endless list of good characteristics. I am grateful for each of their influence; I am truly blessed.

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them" (Desmond Tutu)

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...