Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Schoolmaster in Zion

While, more often than not, my blogs are fun-filled and frilly, this post is dedicated to 25 wonderful students.

Last week, my friend Kali, invited me over for lunch. While we were eating we discussed our little girls (her daughter is a few weeks older than Adrielle). We talked about what it has been like to be a wife and mother and what our jobs, frustrations, and hopes are as we go forward.

One part of the conversation stood out in my mind--the topic of our Patriarchal blessings, and how when (as teenagers) we received them we both asked the question, "Does God even know me?" This thought stood out in my mind since that time, and last night as I bid farewell to teaching my first university-level class, I marveled at the power of our Father in Heaven.

To elaborate...

When I returned to accept my job at BYU, I had no idea that by in so doing, I would fulfill a part of my Patriarchal blessing.

As a teenager--and even as I returned to BYU--I thought, there is no way I am going to "be a schoolmaster in Zion." I will not teach seminary. No way.

But, little did I know that the Lord had other plans. When asked to teach a class her at BYU, I was quite flattered. It wasn't Chemistry, Psychology, or Spanish--but I was teaching at the University level.

Each week as I prepared for class, I learned to overcome the struggles of planning, researching, and completely understanding the material. But, I loved it.

And, last night was no exception.

I realized last night as I bore witness that Heavenly Father loves each one of them, that in even the smallest of ways, I could be fulfilling a plan of our Father in Heaven. I had an outpouring of love for 25 college students and wanted them to know fervently that the Lord loves them, hears their prayers, and will help them in all of life's decisions.

It was quite an experience for me. To offer the cliche last classroom and tie it into Gospel principles, but as I opened my lecture with Doctrine and Covenants 9:7-9 and my favorite poem, and then referred to the poem as I closed, I knew that I was in the right place, at the right time, with the right people.

And, because I chose the road less traveled by, and drew upon faith to sustain me, that has made all the difference.

-----------------------------------

The Road Not Taken
by: Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...