Recent Posts

Friday, May 7, 2010

"You're Just Delicious"

Have you ever seen the movie, "Pay It Forward". Well, I always remembered the central message, aka Charity or acting on the impressions that are the Pure Love of Christ. Well, recently I had the opportunity to pay it forward.

On my first day of work, Adriel and Lisa took me out to dinner. We went to the delicious and amazing Cheese Cake Factory--yummy!

While we were eating dinner I noticed a couple that looked to be in their early thirties. They were enjoying their dinner and I noticed an infant car seat next to them--first time parents with a little one--so sweet.

I didn't think anything of it, and most likely wouldn't have remembered them the moment I walked out the door if it weren't for the following experience: while we were about to leave I just happened to look at the husband as the waitress brought the card and said (inaudible to me) "I'm sorry sir, it's been denied again."

Ugh. My heart sunk. I knew that feeling--we've all experienced that feeling. I experienced that on my 9th birthday when my dad had to leave the restaurant to physically go to the bank to take care of the issue. So, I knew what I had to do.

I approached my waiter and asked that he put their tab on my card. I'm pretty sure he was confused because he had three other people (including the manager) at the register in a matter of a few minutes. The manager brought my card back to me with a pleasant smile on her face, and as we walked away I heard the couple's waitress say "actually sir, your bill has been taken care of".

Now, the point of me telling this little anecdote, is not to draw attention to myself, but rather to point out that in life, Heavenly Father places small experiences within our paths to provide us with learning and serving opportunities. This was one of those opportunities, and one that I will remember throughout my life. I was able to do this small act of service for someone else--if they had been in my shoes (or if you--yes you, reading this blog) would they (or you) have done the same. Just food for thought.

The best part about the story? When we went to the register to validate our parking, the manager asked me if I knew them. When I said no, she said, "well aren't you just delicious?" Hum. Hadn't gotten that before. I guess that's a compliment, right? :) (I'm taking it as one.)

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Oh my goodness that's soo nice! What a great story!

Lisa said...

I've been waiting for this post! If delicious = amazing/ kind/ thoughtful/ selfless, then yes, you are delicious!

McKenzie said...

Lisa... it took me a while, but I could never forget our 'delicious' dinner. Buahahah. :)

Unknown said...

What a sweet story!

Krista said...

I just love you so much. This story made my day. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Tim and Jennifer said...

Awesome story. Tim and I always talk about how we hope to be in the position to be able to help people like that some day!

Oh and I love the delicious compliment!!

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...