Recent Posts

Friday, May 8, 2009

Play Day - Leg 3

Ryan and I had a great day yesterday! First things first... exercise! Many of you know that Ryan is an avid runner, but most of you don't know that I have started running. I'm still a beginner, but these babies have helped...

Ryan bought these beautiful Asics for me a few weeks ago, and I've been loving them! This morning while Ryan ran along the Mississippi, I stayed in the hotel and ran on a treadmill. I ran 2 miles! That may not be a lot, but it's an improvement for me! It was quite invigorating. I'm excited to get back east and run through gorgeous wooded Northern Virginia!

After our run, Ryan and I grabbed a quick road-trip breakfast and headed into Nauvoo despite the rain. By the time we got to Nauvoo, the had rain stopped, and the sun had started to shine. We drove to the temple grounds, and as we were walking up to the temple, a newly-married couple were taking pictures on the grounds. We had a wonderful time in the temple doing sealings and a session. It is so beautiful, ornate, peaceful, and meaningful. It was a strong reminder that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and I was grateful that we were able to continue our tradition in one of our favorite places.


After attending the temple, we headed east to continue our drive. We stopped in our special place along the Mississippi River to take some pictures. This spot is where we enjoyed some of our honeymoon last year.



Continuing east, we stopped in Carthage, IL to visit the Carthage Jail. The sister at the Visitor's Center was very nice, and lead us on a tour of the place of the Prophet Joseph's martyrdom. We had both been before, but it was especially powerful after having been in Nauvoo, walked Parley's Street, and visited the temple. I was especially touched by the song, "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." Every time I hear that song I think of Carthage. If you haven't had the opportunity to visit, I strongly encourage you to increase your testimony through a visit. It made me realize how grateful I am for the Prophet Joseph and the Restoration.


After Carthage, we headed the rest of the way to Champaign/Urbana, Illinois. It was a lot of nothing. Flat, Flat, Flat.


I am quite positive that Illinois is identical to Nebraska... and from what I've heard, Kansas too. They must be triplets. It was neat to run around the campus of the University of Illinois. Quite an adventure.

The best part of the adventure was our hotel. Or should I say cheap motel. Ryan and I had booked a room at an...


...something Ryan had not realized, and something about which I knew nothing. A word to the wise: Ghetto. Smelly. Loud. Sketch. Note to self: stick with something familiar and trustworth because at least you'll know it is in a safe part of town. We heard people talking and yelling outside our window at 2am.

I woke up this morning and Ryan had moved our luggage in front of the door. So sweet. :)

2 comments:

Tim and Jennifer said...

You look great! Good job on the two miles. As soon as I get to one mile I hit the treadmill off. I'm not a good runner...

Shan said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun!

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...