Recent Posts

Saturday, January 21, 2012

La Dolce Vita

A few months ago I posted about how when judging each other, stay-at-home moms and working moms are at odds with each other.

I guess I didn't stress the judging part.

When they're not, well, they're not.

I have great friendships with and respect for working moms and I have great friendships with and respect for stay-at-home moms; they are neither stronger or better. The only subtle difference is that the topics of conversation from day-to-day might vary slightly.

That having been said, I came across an article online today that I thought was very interesting. It was from the perspective of a stay-at-home mom and while I didn't agree wtih everything she said, she took these words right out of my mouth (albeit from the opposite side of the spectrum), "my choices are just that -- mine. I don't judge others for their choice to stay at home or to work because they have to or chose to or want to."

Anyone who knows me well, knows that this is one of my characterizing beliefs. I love my job, I love my little girl; I like doing both, and I'm good at both. Don't judge me. It's not your place, as it's not mine to judge you. I'm doing what's best for me, and you're doing what's best for you.

I've been quite alarmed at how this has been mis-construed... and then I saw "I Don't Know How She Does It" with Sarah Jessica Parker. Soooo funny. Soooo incredibly spot on.

Ryan and I had seen a preview, and then turned to each other at the same moment; "I want to see that". Jinx!

So, we saw it. I laughed so hard because although the cities, jobs, numbers of kids, and pace of life were different than our own, it hit close to home.

It made me realize that I am who I am because of my job and despite my job. That the best part of my day is the smile on Adrielle's face when I see her after work. That it is difficult, yet highly rewarding to be a couple pursuing two careers at once while raising a bright, healthy, energetic two-year-old.

This ladies and gentleman is La Dolce Vita; the sweet life.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Beautifully said! :)

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...