Recent Posts

Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Quarter of a Century

Spoiled Rotten? 

Guilty, it's true. 

But do I not-so-secretly love the attention, yes.

This week I celebrated by 25th birth day. 

I feel so... old? No, that doesn't describe it accurately... Let me explain. 

When I turned 21, it felt so right. I was and felt 21. 

Now, five years later, it's so weird. For the past few years, when people have asked how old I am, my automatic response has been: 21. Even years later. I have to stop and realize (all over again) that I'm no longer 21.

I keep thinking that at some point it will pass and feel natural to be 22, 23, 24, 25... but I keep on waiting. 
This week was weird. 25? Up until last year I had really wanted to road trip for my 25th--just for an excuse to rent a car. But, because of my job, I've already rented one. It will be fun however to go to Denver in two weeks and rent a car 'for real'. 



Anyway, the birthday festivities were fab.

Tuesday, a couple colleagues from the college gave me a little gift... 


...what they didn't know: I am absolutely infatuated with caramel-covered apples. So delicious. (Needless to say, I made it all the way back to my office before I devoured (with some help) the whole thing. Gluttonous, perhaps. Worth it, totally. 

After work on Tuesday, we went to my parent's house for dinner. They've started a new birthday dinner tradition and I am in love. We had shrimp curry (one of my favorite dishes) with bacon-wrapped-tater tots and potato salad. All my favorites. Yummy. My parents (and grandmother) are such amazing cooks, I must learn how to make some of these amazing delights! And, they spoiled me with a couple gifts, love, love, love!



On my actual birthday, I woke up bright and early (4:50am) to go to the gym. I had great morning workout and came home to a 6am surprise: my favorite breakfast, hot-off-the griddle crepes with blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and homemade whipped creme. (My mouth is watering as I think about how yummy it was.) Adi, Ryan, and I had fun eating and having a great morning. 

After breakfast Ryan and Adi gave me some fun gifts. They gave me some clothes, a pretty ring, and some shoes. (Have I mentioned that since Ryan I have fallen in love with shopping. Who would have thought.) 


(Shoes from Ryan and purse from my parents!) 

Work was great. Busy and short. My colleagues sang to me in staff meeting and one of our student employees, and my intern decorated my door. It was so thoughtful! 



It just got better from there because... I took half the day off! 

Ryan and Adi showed up at my office with beautiful roses and a balloon! So sneaky! I didn't even suspect! Ryan said Adi picked them out--she's got great taste--heartbreaker. Heartbreaker. 



We took advantage of our free afternoon and went to Tucanos for lunch! (Yay for free birthday coupons!) Four words: I love glazed pineapple. Period.



After lunch we went home and took a wonderful afternoon nap--something I don't get to often enough. Definitely a birthday splurge. 

That evening Adi had a fever, so she stayed home with Ryan and I went out with my cousins. We had fun gabbing, crafting, and eating delicious cupcakes. 




(I made these! Can you believe it!)

The day after my birthday we were all a little sick. Adi's fever got worse and worse, so I stayed home from work. We tried to make the best of it. 

Friday/Saturday we went to Farmington to celebrate with Ryan's family. My brother-in-law's birthday is the day after mine, so we choose the festivities together. I chose breakfast: crepes (yum!) and he chose dinner: steaks. We had plans to craft Saturday (the girls anyway), but got carried away with a new hair do... more to come! And of course... presents! My mother-in-law is an amazing gift giver. She listens to everything you say... and brings it back even years later. Love her!


(The Pier 1 Imports Tasting Party! I have wanted this soooo badly. 
Now I have it--and Ryan's telling me to throw a party. Yes please!)

All in all, the week was incredible. I feel so spoiled and loved. I may not be 21, but life is good and I am grateful. Here's to another great year. This time next year we'll be off on another adventure! 

1 comments:

Amber said...

Happy late birthday! It sounds like you really had a blast and have some awesome people that made it a blast. Your birthday next year will be quite a bit different, good in its own way.

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...