Recent Posts

Monday, August 22, 2011

Potential

As I reflect on the events of the past year, I have often pondered about potential: project and program potential, academic and career potential, and my life's potential with my family. I have asked myself, what is my capacity to do good and how can I best achieve my potential? How do I know what my potential can be? To what do I aspire?


Throughout the grueling process of trying to make myself a strong and unique applicant for medical school in a short amount of time (to show admissions committees my potential as a future MD), I have learned a lot about myself. Isn't this the truth about much of our lives? We learn the most about ourselves and our potential as we face and overcome difficulties. These are the times that try us and help us achieve our potential, or at least give us more insight into what our potential can be. I do not think it is circumstance that Nephi's (1Nephi 1:1) opening statement in the Book of Mormon mentions his studies first, then afflictions, and lastly what he gained through it all: "a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God."

Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God." I believe that the mysteries and deep things of God have a lot to do with our potential as His children.

Elder Uchdorf's recent conference address, Your Potential, Your Privilege, teaches that not only is it our potential to receive such knowledge, as God's children it is our privilege if we choose to seek it.



It's this type of message that gives me the confidence to go forward to achieve what I once thought was impossible.

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...