Recent Posts

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Page 6.

As a personal goal for my professional development, I have decided that I am going to read two or more books each month to help me further my understanding of the job market, resumes, career counseling--more to help me help students.

So, on Tuesday I picked up a copy of "101 Tips for Graduates" by Susan Morem.

All I can say is wow. It was on page 6 that it hit me. Listen to this (Emphasis added):

"You can put as much or as little effort into your job search as you want, because... there's no one to blame but yourself." Ouch.

"Your moods are likely to fluctuate, and your feelings of exuberance, empowerment, and excitement will probably be intertwined with feelings of rejection, loneliness, and at times desperation." Ouch.

"You will fail before you succeed, and there will be times you'll feel like giving up." Ouch.

Sound bytes are priceless.

Yes, page 6.

Page 6 was an epiphany. I have never wanted for work when I needed a full-time position. I have never gone through the roller coaster of emotions that accompany a full-time job search. I have so many things to be grateful for and I feel so blessed to have been offered two jobs in the past eight months--both wonderful opportunities for personal and professional growth.

For those of you who feel that you have failed, and feel like giving up, don't. Continue. Traverse the challenges. Rethink your strategies, and you will succeed.

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...