Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lessons Learned on Public Transit

Today as I sat waiting for my connecting train, I took in the city atmosphere and couldn't help but think of my experiences on public transportation in the past few weeks. I have seen the highs and lows of the human condition, of attitudes and situations. From one moment to the next, I witnessed a woman verbally and emotionally abusing her children. Rather than react with scorn, a fellow passenger treat this woman and her children with kindness and she cleaned a the remnants of a half-eaten, smashed banana that the children had dropped in the isle.

Most people mind to themselves but others will tell you their life story at first meeting. Maybe there is no threat in revealing personal tragedies to someone that you will most likely never see again. Maybe some people lack a confidant to trust with their secrets. Or maybe some people just like to talk. Whatever the reason, I have found small moments of joy sharing or listening - mostly listening - to strangers.


A particularly sad case reminded me that we are not alone in this world when we have each other. A man was traveling to visit his children. He thought it important to do so in light of the passing of one of his best friends who died in a motorcycle accident that past weekend. His friend, only 23 years old, had left behind two children of his own. I lacked the words to comfort him, only trying my best to react kindly and observing quietly as another passenger switched seats to provide the words and reassurance that he needed.

This, along with countless other experiences have repeatedly testified of the fact that there is something and someone bigger than us all out there, and we can be a part of it. No one ever has to be or feel alone in this world when there is someone to give a smile, a few kind words, or a helping hand. And although I tend to be more reserved, I am inspired and aspire to do better in my efforts to do some good in my small sphere in the world.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Thanks for this post! It really makes me realize that instead of trying to avoid contact with people in life, as I often do in the metro, I should try to open up and help people who really could just use a friend. I'm sure that we have all been there.

Alison Rae said...

thank you for this! I have been feeling this way lately too. You put it better than I ever could! Good luck with school Ryan!

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...