Recent Posts

Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Very 'Glad' Valentine's

Last year for Valentine's Day, Ryan took me to La Dolce Vita, a charming, authentic Italian restaurant where we went for our first (unofficial) date. He bought me the most gorgeous bouquet of pink roses and yellow hydrangeas, but the best surprise of all was the bouquet of budding red gladiolus (aka glads). 

The first thing you must know about glads . . . 

. . . is that they are my absolute favorite flower. Gladiolus are a later summer flower that thrive in temperate climates (especially the South). They are gorgeous and vibrant, attract butterflies and humming birds, and smell perfectly divine. They are an all-around beautiful creation. 

Not only are they beautiful, but they hold sentimental significance for me. When I was in high school back east, my dad and I planted hundreds of glads the first year we were there. The next year we had hundreds of beautiful flowers blooming in the front yard for about six weeks, and each year afterwards I impatiently awaited the end of July for their arrival.  

The second thing you must know about glads, is that they are impossible to find during the winter months in cold climates, something I knew but Ryan didn't. He was such a sweetheart to be observant and even know that they were my favorite flower, let alone think to get me some for Valentine's Day. 

As I said, they are impossible to find during the winter months, but Ryan came through and found the most perfect red glads. I was so surprised and happy, and touched that he had remembered my favorite flower. A couple weeks later I found out that it had taken him a four-hour trip to several flower shops to even find a single stem of glads. He had worked so hard to find them for me! Wasn't he such a wonderful boyfriend? 

Well, fast forward through 2008 and a charming wedding luncheon with stunning hot pink glads (courtesy of my wonderful mother-in-law, Jennifer) to Valentine's Day 2009. Ryan and I were going to go to the  cabin over the President's Day weekend, and wanted to celebrate Valentine's Day early, so we decided to celebrate last Thursday. I planned a few surprises for Ryan, and was anxious for him to get home so we could celebrate. He was a little late, but his excuse was so darling. Ryan came home with these: 


The most gorgeous bouquet of budding pink glads. And, once again it had taken him a long trip to 3 different florists to find a single stem. Thank you sweetheart for being observant and thoughtful! You are the most wonderful, and perfect man in the entire world. I love you!

0 comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...